Monday, March 13, 2017

Dallas Quilt Show, 2017

© Kathy Duncan, 2016


It's a Charmed Life, the 2017 Dallas Quilt Show, has come and gone. Below are a few highlights from the show. These quilts were my favorites.

The first quilt is called "Family Reunion" by Barbara McCraw. It was inspired by her genealogy research on Ancestry. It is a spectacular quilt. My one hope is that she will expand her research beyond Ancestry. After the show, it was announced that "Family Reunion" won the Viewers' Choice Award. I certainly voted for it!




This is a close up of the center block. If you look closely at the bridal couple's feet, you will see a broom stick.




As wonderful as the center block is, the block below was my favorite. I just like its grace and the sense of movement it has.





This was another delightful quilt by Susan Holland. It is called "Phoebe for Mary." She spent three or four years on it. The colors were much brighter than it appears here.




This is a close up of the center block, which give you a better sense of its vibrancy.




This is another quilt that made me happy. I did not catch the maker's name.





This quilt just made me smile. Old trucks always have that effect on me.




Apparently, I was drawn to pictorials this year. This little plane in a field of blue bonnets reminded me of West Texas - if West Texas had blue bonnets.




Another pictorial of a faux small town. Or a ghost town? It is comprised of five panels.




This quilt is an original design and is composed of several techniques. It's bright and makes me happy. I had a chance to speak to the maker. She is a delightful, talented young woman.




And I had my annual visit with the Dallas Guild's quilt, which I think is called Dallas Primitive. It was made in about 1996 or 97.




This is really two blocks. The boat is one, and the chickens are the other. I made the chicken block, and it won a blue ribbon. Then the following year, one of the light chickens was the show logo. Pretty cool, eh? Anyway, the little street sign indicates that the chickens are wandering the streets of Dallas at the corner of Ervay and Young. Those streets were named after early pioneers of Dallas. Also, if you know your way around Dallas, then you know that the Dallas Public Library is at that corner - no possibility of a boat passing by there. This block is my tribute to the Dallas Public Library, where I have logged many, many hours doing genealogy research instead of quilting. I hope Barbara McCraw will check it out when she is not making delightful quilts.











No comments:

Post a Comment